|Jim & J. E. Mainer Jr.|
Jim was back from his trip to NC to celebrate J. E. Mainer, Jr's 93rd
birthday with a stop on the return trip at Joe Bussard's place for some great music. You'll hear more exciting music from the Joe visit in the near future.
The first hour was mostly Jim's 78s featuring a segment of recordings, some composed and all sung, by J. E. Mainer, Jr. during his stints with his father's band, Mainer's Mountaineers.
We also heard early music from Steve Ledford, Dixie Reelers (J. E. Mainer's band when they recorded without J. E. ), The Prairie Ramblers, Bill Monroe, Jimmie Davis, and The Cooke Duet.
Joe Bussard presented his 67th show to great acclaim. We had more calls and Facebook comments about this show than any we have had so far. Keep the comments coming, please!
Join Jim next week. We may be preempted the first hour, but Joe's show will air for sure.
Artist / Song / Disk / Label / Year
- Golden Gate Quartet / Same Train / Complete Recorded Works Volume 6 / Document / 1950
- Bill Cox / In 1992 / 78 RPM single / Decca / 1931
- Steve Ledford and Daniel Nicholson acc by Carolina Ramblers String Band / Ninety Nine Years / 78 RPM single / Perfect / 1932
- Dixie Reelers / Walkin' In My Sleep / 78 RPM single / Montgomery Ward / 1936
- Prairie Ramblers / Maple On The Hill No. 4 / 78 RPM single / Conqueror / 1937
- Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys / Toy Heart / 78 RPM single / Columbia / 1946
- J. E. Mainer Jr. with J. E. Mainer's Mountaineers / The Lonely Train / 78 RPM Single / King / 1946
- J. E. Mainer Jr. with J. E. Mainer's Mountaineers / Johnson County Blues / 78 RPM Single / King / 1946
- J. E. Mainer's Mountaineers / Maple On The Hill / Run Mountain / Arhoolie / 1963
- J. E. Mainer's Mountaineers / Mama Don't Allow / Run Mountain / Arhoolie / 1963
- Unreleased tracks from The South Carolina Broadcasters
- Jimmie Davis / Pea Pickin' Papa / 78 RPM single / Victor / 1931
- The Cooke Duet / Striving For That City / Striving For That City / Self-released (LP) / 1964
- The Stripling Brothers / The Lost Child / 78 RPM single / Melotone / 1928
- Dr. Humphrey Bate & His Possum Hunters / Eighth of January / 78 RPM single / Brunswick / 1928
- Jimmie Rodgers / Mississippi Moon / 78 RPM single / Bluebird / 1933
- Fisher Hendley & His "Aristocratic Pigs" / Weave Room Blues / 78 RPM single / Vocalion / 1938
- The Carter Family / Lonesome For You / 78 RPM single / RCA / 1932
- Clayton McMichen, Riley Puckett, Gid Tanner, Lowe Stokes, Fate Norris / A Bee Hunt On The Hill For Sartin Creek Part 1 and Part 2 / 78 RPM single / Columbia / 1931
- Gene Autry / Texas Plains / 78 RPM single / Banner / 1935
- Milton Brown & His Musical Brownies / The Hesitation Blues / 78 RPM single / Decca / 1936
- Uncle Dave Macon / I Ain't Got Long To Stay / 78 RPM single / Vocalion / 1926
- Don Reno & Red Smiley / Your Love Is Dying / 45 RPM single / Dot / 1957
- Phebel Wright / I'll Do Most Anything You Say / 78 RPM single / Essex / 1949
- The Stanley Brothers / Blue Moon Of Kentucky / 78 RPM single / Mercury / 1954
- Pee Wee Lambert & Curley Parker with the Pine Ridge Boys / Just A Memory / 78 RPM single / Rich-R-Tone / 1952
- Jim and Jesse [McReynolds] / Just Wondering Why / 78 RPM single / Capitol / 1953
- The Bailey Brothers / Happy Valley Special / 78 RPM single / Rich-R-Tone / 1949
- The Sansom Singers / The Tree Of Life / 78 RPM single / Sansom / 1950
- Wilma Lee And Stoney Cooper / This World Can't Stand Long / 78 RPM Single / Rich-R-Tone / 1948