|Johnnie Wright and Jack Anglin|
This was a one-hour show because of a sports preemption. Joe Bussard's 7th show for WHUS Red Rooster Party aired on this show during the last half-hour.
Prior to Joe, we played some great 1950s country with Johnny Horton, Johnnie and Jack, and The Louvin Brothers. Jimmy Murphy did a song from his later 1978 album. We played four songs recorded on the questionable quality Paramount label including an early 1929 version of Been On The Job Too Long by Wilmer Watts & The Lonely Eagles which was later covered in bluegrass very successfully by The Johnson Mountain Boys.
For his 7th show on WHUS, Joe Bussard broke once again from his regular early country format to present an all-bluegrass show. He hit on some relatively rare bluegrass recordings from the 1950s and ventured just a little beyond that with tracks from The Country Gentlemen and The Seldom Scene. Outstanding tracks included Benny and Vallie Cain's first recording, a Jack Youngblood fiddle tune, and a very obscure gospel number from The Blue Ridge Buddies. If you missed it, or want to hear it again, it is here for a while.
|Harry "Haywire Mac" McClintock|
Tune in next Sunday for another great afternoon of early country classics from both me and Joe Bussard.
Artist / Song / Album / Label / Year
- The Golden Gate Quartet / Do Unto Others / Complete Recorded Works Volume 5 1945-1949 / Document / 1947
- Johnnie & Jack and the Tennessee Mountain Boys / Eastern Gate / Johnnie & Jack and the Tennessee Mountain Boys / B.A.C.M / 1952
- Johnny Horton / Out in New Mexico / The Essential Johnny Horton 1956-1960 / Columbia-Legacy / 1958
- Jimmy Murphy / Big Mama Blues / Electricity / Sugar Hill / 1978
- Harry "Haywire Mac" McClintock / Tom Cat Blues / Harry "Haywire Mac" McClintock Vol. 2 / B.A.C.M / 1938
- The Louvin Brothers / I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby / 20 Greatest Hits / King / 1956
- Red Brush Rowdies / Hatfield McCoy Feud / Paramount Old Time Recordings / JSP / 1928
- Emry Arthur / The Married Man / Paramount Old Time Recordings / JSP / 1931
- Wilmer Watts & The Lonely Eagles / Been on the Job Too Long / Paramount Old Time Recordings / JSP / 1929
- Arthur Tanner / Little Old Log Cabin in the Lane / Parmount Old Time Recordings / JSP / 1925
- Stripling Brothers (opening theme) / The Lost Child / 78 RPM Single / Melotone / 1928
- Jack Youngblood / Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star / 78 RPM Single / Columbia / 1954
- The Stanley Brothers / Molly and Tenbrooks / 78 RPM Single / Rich-R-Tone / 1947
- Buzz Busby and the Bayou Boys / Don't Come Running Back To Me / 45 RPM Single / Starday / 1959
- Bill Harrell & the Virginians / Eating Out Of Your Hand / 45 RPM Single / Starday / 1959
- Benny & Vallie Cain / Roving Gambler / 78 RPM Single / Adelphi / 1950
- The Country Gentlemen / Copper Kettle / 45 RPM Single / Rebel / 1963
- The Seldom Scene / Last Train To Poor Valley / Act Two / Rebel / 1973
- The Osborne Brothers / Ruby, Are You Mad At Your Man / 78 RPM Single / MGM / 1956
- The Blue Ridge Buddies / When Jesus Calls His Children / single / unk / unk
- The Country Gentlemen / Sunrise / 45 RPM Single / Rebel / 1963