It has been several years since I did an Easter program because of sports preemptions, but we had an opportunity today, and used it.
With the exception of a handful of requests and Joe Bussard's program, the songs I played had some connection to the Easter story.
Perhaps the rarest recording on the show was from a 45 rpm EP of "The Stone Was Rolled Away" from the Sullivan Family, credited to Margie Sullivan.
We hope the show was an inspirational start to your Easter morning.
You can hear Joe Bussard's show by clicking on the link next to his portion of the playlist below.
I'll be back next Sunday at 7am, so be sure to tune in for more early and classic country music.
Artist / Song / Source / Label / Year
- The Golden Gate Quartet / The Sun Didn't Shine / Complete Recorded Works Volume 4 (1939-1943) / Document / 1941
- J. E. Mainer's Mountaineers / I'm Not Turning Backward / Run Mountain - 30 Old Time Favorites / Gusto / 1946
- Brother Claude Ely / My Crucified One / Satan Get Back! / Ace King / 1962
- The Cooke Duet / Six Hours On The Cross / The Best Of The Cooke Duet / CRFRC / 1960s
- Kitty Wells / The Third Man / Dust On the Bible / King / 1997
- Clyde Moody / Didn't They Crucify My Lord / Little Old Country Church House / Wango / 1962
- Molly O'Day / When the Angels Rolled the Stone Away / Radio Favorites - Sacred & Secular Songs / Old Homestead / c1951
- Hank Snow / The Texas Silver Zephyr / Hank Snow Sings Grand Ole Opry Favorites / RCA / 1973
- The South Carolina Broadcasters / Shouting on the Hills of Glory / Diamonds In The Rough / Flaming Heart / 2014
- Hot Rize / The Man in the Middle / Heaven Bound - The Best Of Bluegrass Gospel 2 / Time Life / 1981
- Gene Autry with Dinah Shore / The Old Rugged Cross / Cowboy Hymns & Songs Of Inspiration / Varèse Sarabande / 1950
- Wade Mainer / He's Passing This Way / I'm Not Looking Backward / Gusto / 1951
- Hank Williams / I'll Have A New Body / Goodbye Babylon / Dust-to-Digital / 1949
- Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys / I Am the Man, Thomas / Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys: 1971-1973 / Rebel Records Llc / 1971
- Wilma Lee Cooper / Walking My Lord (Up Calvary's Hill) / 22 Wilma Lee Cooper Hits - Keep On the Sunny Side / K-tel / 1974
- Carl Smith with the Carter Sisters and Mother Maybelle / The Blood that Stained the Old Rugged Cross / Goodbye, Babylon, Vol. 2 / Dust-to-Digital / 1952
- Byron Parker And His Mountaineers / Gethsemene / Byron Parker And His Mountaineers / Old Homestead / 1940
- Rose Maddox and The Maddox Brothers / Tramp On The Street / When The Sun Goes Down / B.A.C.M / 1948
- The Dixon Brothers / Easter Day / Dixon Brothers Vol. 1 (1936) / Document Records / 1936
- Don Reno & Red Smiley and The Tennessee Cut-Ups / The Lord's Last Supper / 1951-1959 / King / 1958
- The Stanley Brothers / A Crown He Wore / The King Years 1961-1965 / King / 1962
- Don Reno & Red Smiley and The Tennessee Cut-Ups / The Old Rugged Cross / 1959-1963 / Gusto / 1962
- The Stanley Brothers & The Clinch Mountain Boys / Purple Robe / The Early Starday / King Years 1958-1961 / King / 1959
- Patti Powell / Gathering Flowers / 12 Songs of Inspiration / Self-released / unk
- The Golden Gate Quartet / Swing Down, Sweet Chariot / Complete Recorded Works Volume 5 / Document / 1946
- Margie Sullivan / The Stone Was Rolled Away / 45 rpm EP / Loyal / c1962
- Doc Watson / Did Christ O'er Sinners Weep / On Praying Ground / Sugar Hill / 1990
Joe Bussard's Country Classics #25 [listen here]
- Jack Youngblood / Hitch Hiker's Blues / 78 RPM single / Columbia / 1954
- Uncle Dave Macon / Travelin' Down The Road / 78 RPM single / Bluebird / 1937
- The Coon Creek Girls / Old Uncle Dudy (Keep Fiddling On) / 78 RPM single / Vocalion / 1938
- Don Reno & Red Smiley / Remington Ride / 78 RPM single / King / 1956
- Jim & Jesse / Air Mail Special / 78 RPM single / Capitol / 1953
- The Stanley Brothers / The White Dove / 78 RPM single / Columbia / 1949
- Bill Clifton / The Burglar Man / 78 RPM single / Blue Ridge / 1954
- The Carter Family / Heaven's Radio / 78 RPM single / Okeh / 1940
- Ned Luberecki/Ron Pennington / Minor Swing / New Strings / Borderline Productions / 1991