We had a one-hour show because of a sports preemption, but we hope we made it interesting.
Classic country on this show was provided by Johnny Horton, Roy Acuff, Red Foley, and Hank Williams.
Gospel included our Golden Gate Quartet opener, and a live performance for Armed Forces Radio by Wally Fowler & The Oak Ridge Quartet -- predecessors of today's Oak Ridge Boys.
We slipped a little yodeling in the show from Maine legend Yodelin' Slim Clark, and a song from Carolina Cotton that didn't include yodeling for a change.
|Bascomb Lamar Lunsford|
We also played a couple of old songs from Hylo Brown and Lee Moore -- both well known artists in New England because of their WWVA appearances in the 1950s and 1960s and even later. The Rural Rhythm label has released some of their 1960s catalog on CD for the first time, and we are happy to share those CDs with RRP listeners.
The schedule is a bit in flux, but we will let you know about our next show on our Red Rooster Party on WHUS Facebook page. You can check it out here.
Thanks for listening!
Jim & Marti
Title / Artist / Album / Label
- Introduction (1994) / Hattie Dalton / Personal recorded interview / .
- Gabriel Blows His Horn (1937) / Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet / Complete Recorded Works V.1 / Document
- Honky Tonk Man (1956) / Johnny Horton / American Originals / Columbia
- Wreck On The Highway (1942) / Roy Acuff / Night Train To Memphis / Allegro
- I Wish I Was A Mole In The Ground (1949) / Bascomb Lamar Lunsford / Ballads, Banjo Tunes, etc. / Smithsonian Folkways
- When You're Blue, Just Yodel (1949) / Yodelin' Slim Clark / Self-titled / Old Homestead
- Old Joe Clark (1966) / Lee Moore / Sings Radio Favorites of Country Music / Rural Rhythm
- Dreaming of a Little Cabin (1966) / Lee Moore / Sings Radio Favorites of Country Music / Rural Rhythm
- Kiss Me Cindy (1937) / J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers / Good For What Ails You / Old Hat
- Bring A Little Water Sylvie (1967) / Hylo Brown / Self-titled / Rural Rhythm
- Aunt Jemima's Plaster (1950) / Red Foley / Hank Williams Live At The Grand Ole Opry / Mercury
- Lead Me To That Rock (1950) / Wally Fowler & The Oak Ridge Quartet / Hank Williams Live At The Grand Ole Opry / Mercury
- I Just Don't Like This Kind Of Livin' (1950) / Hank Williams / Hank Williams Live At The Grand Ole Opry / Mercury
- Where The Old Red River Flows (1996) / Skip Gorman / A Greener Prairie / Rounder
- I'll Go Riding Down That Old Texas Trail (1950s) / Gene Autry / The Last Round Up / Synergy
- Strawberry Roan (2002) / Michael Martin Murphey / Cowboy Classics: Playing Favorites II / Real West
- The Streets Of Laredo (2002) / Michael Martin Murphey / Cowboy Classics: Playing Favorites II / Real West
- When The Coyotes Come Near (1999) / Sons of the San Joaquin / Horses, Cattle and Coyotes / Western Jubilee
- Song of the Bandit (1988) / Riders In The Sky / Live From The Golden Age of Riders Radio Theater / Riders Radio
- Betcha I Getcha (1950) / Carolina Cotton / Yodel, Yodel, Yodel / Cattle