RRP was only an hour show today because the second hour was preempted by UCONN sports, a semi-regular occurrence throughout the school year but a situation we accept because this is the ideal time for us to produce the show.
We took the opportunity to pay tribute to Jerry Reed, the 71 year-old super-picker who passed away (from emphysema) on Labor Day (1 Sept 2008). Many folks might know him as an actor in films such as "Smokey and the Bandit," or from his song hits "Amos Moses" or "She Got the Goldmine (I Got The Shaft)" among others, but we remember him for his fantastic finger picking.
Marti put this playlist together, so she included a set of Western music with horse themes as well.
I especially liked the country set with Byron Parker's Mountaineers because it sounded like bluegrass music a full five to six years before the generally acknowledged beginning of bluegrass music with Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys. I also liked the lesser-heard Hank Williams song near the end.
Thanks for listening!
Song Title (date when known) / Artist / Album / Label
- Aunt Hattie Dalton "Old Red Rooster Party" Introduction (1994)
- Time's Winding Up (1941) /
Golden GateQuartet / Complete Recorded Works Vol. 4 / Document
- Guitar Man (1966) / Jerry Reed / The Essential Jerry Reed / RCA
- The Crude Oil Blues (1973) / Jerry Reed / The Essential Jerry Reed / RCA
- Here We Are (1992) / Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed / Sneakin' Around /
- The Claw (1992) / Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed / Sneakin' Around /
- We've Got to Have 'Em, That's All (1929) / Blind Alfred Reed / Complete Works 1927-29 / Document
- Travelin' Railroad Man Blues (1931) /
Sheiks / A Richer Tradition / JSP Alabama
- Peanut Special (1940) / Byron Parker & His Mountaineers / [self-titled] / Old
- Gonna Lay Down My Old Guitar (1940) / Byron Parker & His Mountaineers / [self-titled] / Old
- Concerning Charlie Horse / Omar Blondahl "Sagebrush Charlie" / Songs From the Saddle / Jasmine
Old Faithfuland I / Les Wilson / Songs From the Saddle / Jasmine
- Smoky That Wild Stallion / Smoky Dawson "The Cowboy Folk Singer" / Songs From the Saddle / Jasmine
Old Faithful/ Rex Allen Sr. / Songs From the Saddle / Jasmine
- The Return of Charlie Horse / Omar Blondahl "Sagebrush Charlie" / Songs From the Saddle / Jasmine
- Fly Trouble (1947) / Hank Williams / Settin' The Woods on Fire / Snapper Music
- Summertime (1992) / Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed / Sneakin' Around /