Jim was delayed returning from a trip to NC, so Marti stepped in and played a show that we originally did in October 2008 titled "Fred Tales."
|Fred and Marti|
Fred was a beagle -- or mostly beagle (Marti called him a "bagle") -- who adopted us right after we moved to Maryland when he was just a pup. He had moved into the woods outside our home just before the previous residents moved, and then cautiously watched us until he decided we were worthy.
That was in 1992. Fred passed away 16 October 2008.
Fred turned out to be one of the best friends we ever had. He and Marti had a bond that went beyond the typical human-animal relationship. She literally knew what Fred was thinking at any time, and I believe he knew what Marti was thinking.
Fred was an outdoor farm dog until we moved to Connecticut in 2001. The proximity of the house to the road along with the cold winters influenced us to let him move inside with us. Not only that, but because he was not capable of staying in the house by himself throughout a whole workday, Marti took him to school daily. It is rare to be able to take a dog to work these days, but Watkinson School allowed that to happen, and in doing so provided Fred many new friends, provided therapy for students, and perhaps extended Fred's life.
In the times we couldn't have Fred with us, Baywood Kennels was his most excellent home-away-from-home. We couldn't have been luckier to have them nearby.
For this show we played songs and comedy bits about dogs or mentioning dogs, and we told "Fred Tales" -- stories we gathered about Fred over the years -- between sets.
We hope you enjoyed our tribute to Fred, and all dogs everywhere.
Jim & Marti
Artist / Song (Year) / Album / Label
- Hattie Dalton "Old Red Rooster Party" Introduction (1994)
Golden GateQuartet / Noah / Radio Transcriptions 1941-1944 / Document
- The Skillet-Lickers / Ya Gotta Quit Kickin' My Dog Aroun' (1927) / Complete Recorded Works Vol. 1 / Document
- Grandpa Jones / Old Rattler (c.1975) / An American Original / CMH
- Homer & Jethro / How Much is That Hound Dog in the Window (c.1955) / Lassoes 'N Spurs / BMG
- Jerry Clower / The Dog and the Bear (c.1980s) / More Good 'Uns / MCA
- Fred Tale: Fred rescues Marti from two big dogs
- The Dillards / Old Blue (1964) / There is a Time / Vanguard
- Hawkshaw Hawkins / Dog House Boogie / Best of the Best 1921-1963 / Gusto
- Kenny Roberts / Choc'late Ice Cream Cone (1950) / Jumpin' & Yodelin' / Bear Family
- Fred Tale: Fred's barn surprise
Hound Dog (1977) / From Rocky Top To Muddy Bottom / CMH The Osborne Brothers / Tennessee
- The Eddie Adcock Band / Dog (1989) /
DixieFried / CMH
- Dock Walsh with The
Tar Heels / Bull Dog in Sunny Carolina Tennessee(1962) / Doggone Country / CMH
- Jerry Clower / Crack, W.L., and Rover (1984) / Classic Clower Power / MCA
- Fred Tale: Fred and the grandma deer
- Al Hopkins and His Bucklebusters / Oh Where is My Little Dog Gone (1927) / The Hill Billies Volume 3 / Document
- Jimmie Davis / The Poodle Dog Song (1950) / Doggone Country / CMH
Texas Tyler/ Dad Gave My Dog Away (1948) / The Best Of T. Texas / Collector's Choice Tyler
- Fred Tale: Fred and the cat team to hunt voles
- Morris Brothers / Salty Dog Blues (1945) / Salty Dog Blues / BACM
- Jerry Clower / Bird Dog Hunt Off (1998) / Peaches & Possums / MCA
- Johnny Cash / Dirty Old Egg-sucking Dog (1966) / The Essential 1955-1983 /
- Fred Tale: Fred and Bob's great adventure
- Hoosier Hot Shots / Hound Dog (1960s) / Doggone Country / CMH
- Mac Wiseman / Beagle Hound (2000s) / 1st Recorded Live Concert / Wise
James King / Echo Mountain(2004) / The BluegrassStoryteller / Rounder
- Burl Ives / I Found My Best Friend In The Dog Pound (1963) / A Little Bitty Tear / Bear Family
- Earl Taylor and the Stoney Mountain Boys / Fox Chase (1959) / Mountain Music
BluegrassStyle / Smithsonian Folkways
- Fred Tales: Fred and road kill
- Joe Leggo / Did You See My Dog Mr. (1999) / Always Country / Self
- Red Foley / Old Shep (1941) / As Good as it Gets / Disky
- Grandpa Jones / Dog And Gun (c.1975) / An American Original / CMH
- Lewis Grizzard / Black Labs (1980s) / The Best Of Lewis Grizzard / Southern Tracks
- Grandpa Jones / Old Rattler's Pup (1969) / Everybody's Grandpa / Bear Family
Honeydrippers / Old Blue (1960s) / Doggone Country / CMH Louisiana Dog (1971) / 1954-1974 / Bear Family Jimmy Martin / Chattanooga
- Jerry Clower / Newgene And The Lion (1980s) / Jerry Clower's Greatest Hits / MCA
- Blue Around The Edges / Let Your Light Shine On Me (2007) / Heaven's Front Door / Self-produced