We hardly knew what to do with a full show for the second week in a row, but we didn't puzzle for long.
We played a cross-section of early country and some cowboy and western music before Joe Bussard presented his 9th show for Red Rooster Party.
|Joseph Spence 1910-1984|
Marti hasn't been with us for a while, but in her tradition we presented a set of cowboy music from the likes of Yodelin' Slim Clark, Cliff Carlisle, Skip Gorman, Ray Whitley, Jules Verne Allen, Elton Britt, and Fred Kirby.
"New Old" music from Bear Minimum (Dave "Tex" Orlomoski and Dave Shaw) and The South Carolina Broadcasters topped the program.
Joe Bussard's 9th show for RRP showcased some excellent early gems. You can hear his segment again at this link.
Join us next week for more great real music the early 20th century.
Artist / Song / Disc / Label / Year
- The Golden Gate Quartet / My Lord Is Writing / Complete Recorded Works Volume 2 1938-1939 / Document / 1938
- Joseph Spence / Santa Claus is Comin to Town / Living On the Hallelujah Side / New Rounder / 1972
- The Lilly Brothers / Ramshackle Shack In Caroline / The Lilly Brothers At Hillbilly Ranch / Globe / 1960
- The Lilly Brothers & Don Stover / Hide Ye In The Blood / Live At Hillbilly Ranch / Hay Holler / 1967
- Asa Martin & James Roberts / Darling Nellie Gray / The Year Of Jubilo / Dust-to-Digital / 1931
- Da Costa Woltz's Southern Broadcasters / Richmond Cotillion / The Year Of Jubilo / Dust-to-Digital / 1927
- Dr. Elmo Shropshire / Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer [instrumental] / Dr. Elmo Bluegrass Christmas / Time Life / 2010 [request]
- Early Upchurch / It's Alright / 45 RPM Single / ARC / 1960s
- The Stripling Brothers / Lost John / Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order Volume 1, 1928-1934 / Document / 1929
- Charlie Moore / My Christmas Dream / 45 RPM Single / Old Homestead / 1975
- Doc & Chickie Williams / Crepe on the Little Cabin Door / One Heart One Life / Wheeling / unk
- The South Carolina Broadcasters / Tell Me Truly Little Darling / Tell Me Truly / John Boy & Billy / 2015
- Carroll Best and the White Oak String Band / Home Sweet Home / Old-Time Bluegrass from the Great Smoky Mountains (1956 & 1959) / Great Smoky Mountains Association / 1956
- J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers / Run Mountain / Run Mountain / Arhoolie / 1963
- Carson Brothers & Sprinkle / The Old Miller's Will / Times Ain't Like They Used To Be - Early American Rural Music / Yazoo / 1929
- Cliff Carlisle / The Cowboy Song / Classic Country Sides 1930-1931 / JSP / 1931
- Yodelin' Slim Clark / I Should Have Known / Self-titled / Old Homestead / 1953
- Skip Gorman / A Cowboy's Wild Song to His Herd / A Cowboy's Wild Song to His Herd / Rounder / 1999
- Ray Whitley / Wah Hoo / Back In The Saddle Again / B.A.C.M / 1936
- Jules Allen / The Cowboy's Lament / Complete Recordings / B.A.C.M / 1929
- Elton Britt / I Hung My Head and Cried / Country's Music's Yodelling Cowboy Crooner / Jasmine Records / 1942
- Roan Mountain Hilltoppers / Old Time Sally Ann / Down Home / Self-released / 1980
- Fred Kirby / Where The Longhorn Cattle Roam / The Original "Atomic Power" / Cattle / 1936
- Fred Kirby / Home (Answer To "Home On The Range") / The Original "Atomic Power" / Cattle / 1937
- The Blue Sky Boys / The Lightning Express / The Blue Sky Boys / JSP / 1939
- The Chuck Wagon Gang / Echoes from the Burning Bush / Gospel Classics By The Chuck Wagon Gang / GMHoF / c.1950s
- Bear Minimum / You'll Meet Him In the Clouds / The Automobile Of Life / Open Road / 2015
- Stripling Brothers / The Lost Child / 78 RPM Single / Melotone / 1928
- Dilly & His Dill Pickles (John Dilleshaw) / Lye Soap / 78 RPM Single / Vocalion / 1927
- Blind Alfred Reed / The Wreck Of The Virginian / 78 RPM Single / Victor / 1927
- Marion Underwood / Coal Creek March / 78 RPM Single / Gennett / 1927
- The Blue Sky Boys / Let's Not Sleep Again / 78 RPM Single / Victor / 1947
- The Coon Creek Girls / Banjo Pickin' Girl / 78 RPM Single / Vocalion / 1938
- Carolina Tar Heels / Back To Mexico / 78 RPM Single / Victor / 1930
- The Carter Family / Where Shall I Be / 78 RPM Single / Victor / 1930