We were delighted to have a full two hour show on this Sunday, augmented by some extra time before the start because the previous DJ departed early.
It was also the occasion of Joe Bussard's 4th Country Classics program for Red Rooster Party and WHUS. You can hear the archived show here.
The bulk of the show after Joe was programmed by the absent Marti who gave us field recordings on the Bluebird label from 1937 to 1940. By field recordings, we mean recordings made in temporary recording studios, usually set up in hotels or warehouses in Charlotte NC, Atlanta GA, Rock Hill SC, Chicago IL, and several other locations. Some of the greatest old country and hillbilly music was made in those locations.
We hope you heard something you liked.
Tune in next Sunday for a very special Joe Bussard's Country Classics when he will give us an education on early jazz prior to 1933 -- what Joe calls "real jazz."
See you then.
Artist / Song / Album / Label / Year
- Bradley Kincaid / Pretty Little Pink / A Man And His Guitar / JSP / 1930
- Bradley Kincaid / Cindy / A Man And His Guitar / JSP / 1930
- Stringbean / Here, Rattler, Here / Hee Haw Corn Shucker / Starday / 1961
- Stringbean / Stringbean And His Banjo / Hee Haw Corn Shucker / Starday / 1960
- Golden Gate Quartet / Way Down In Egypt Land / Golden Gate Quartet Vol. 3 / Document / 1939
Joe Bussard's Country Classics #4
- Stripling Brothers / The Lost Child / 78 RPM Single / Melotone / 1928
- Dad Massey and His Family / Durang's Hornpipe / 78 RPM Single / Conquerer / 1936
- Charlie Bowman / Moonshiner And His Money / 78 RPM Single / Columbia / 1929
- Uncle Dave Macon / Over The Road I'm Bound To Go / 78 RPM Single / Brunswick / 1928
- Charlie Monroe and His Kentucky Pardners / The Wild Black Engine / 78 RPM Single / RCA / 1951
- Two Poor Boys / Old Hen Cackle / 78 RPM Single / Perfect / 1931
- Buddy Starcher / I Planted A Rose In The Garden Of Prayer / 78 RPM Single / Columbia / 1949
- unidentified bluegrass tune
- Johnnie Barfield / Long Tongue Women / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1940
- McClendon Brothers (with Georgia Dell) / Heaven Bound Blues / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1936
- Dewey & Gassie Bassett / Back Water Blues / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1938
- Roy Shaffer / Coupon Song / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1939
- Roy Shaffer / Disappointed In Love (I Wish I Had Never Met Sunshine) / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1939
- Four Pickled Peppers / When I Was A Baby / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1939
- Tennessee Ramblers / Don't Put a Tax On the Beautiful Girls / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1939
- Pine Ridge Boys / You Are My Sunshine / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1939
- Happy Valley Boys / Homecoming Time In Happy Valley / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1940
- Pete Pyle / It's So Hard To Be Just A Pal To You / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1940
- J. H. Howell's Carolina Hillbillies / Lonesome Life Of Worry / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1938
- Walter Hurdt / Fiddle And Guitar Running Wild / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1938
- George Wade & The Caro-Ginians / He Turned Around And Went The Other Way / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1938
- Smith's Carolina Crackerjacks / Your Soul Never Dies / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1938
- Hinson, Pitts & Coley / Whoa, Mule, Whoa / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1938
- Julian Johnson & Leon Hyatt / T.B. Killed My Daddy / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1938
- Grady and Hazel Cole / What A Change One Day Can Make / Classic Field Recordings / JSP / 1940
- J. E. Mainer's Mountaineers / Kiss Me Cindy / Classic Sides 1937-1938 / JSP / 1937
- The Callahan Brothers / She's Killing Me / The Callahan Brothers / Old Homestead / 1934
- Frank Blevins & His Tar Heel Rattlers / Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss / Music From The Lost Provinces / Old Hat / 1927
- Ray Whitley / Ramshackled Shack On The Hill / Back In The Saddle Again / B.A.C.M / 1935
- Eddie Noack / Psycho / Psycho - The K-Ark and Allstar Recordings, 1962-1969 / Bear Family / 1968
- Patti Powell / One Teardrop and One Step Away / One Step Away / Self-released / 2009
- Molly O'Day / Too Late To Worry / Radio Favorites / Old Homestead / c.1947
- Spencer Branch / Ash County Outlaws / Ashe County Outlaws / Self-released / 2015
- The Carter Family / Redemption Song / The Acme Sessions 1952 / 56 / JSP / 1956
- The South Carolina Broadcasters / Silence or Tears / Tell Me Truly / John Boy & Billy / 2015