For this first show of 2015, Marti selected the music except for a couple songs Jim played to fulfill requests.
We heard The Maddox Brothers & Rose during the struggling 1950s where their music took on a more rock & roll aesthetic to remain viable during the times. We also heard a couple of the earliest recordings of the Dixon Brothers and similar early recordings of Ernest Stoneman.
Perhaps the surprise of the show was a collection of Merle Travis songs transcribed from Jimmy Wakely radio shows of the mid-1950s. They provided a different take on the aural history of Travis' great picking and singing.
We haven't played much from Eddy Arnold in a while, but we played three of his number 1 country hits on this show including Kentucky Waltz. Even the song's writer and first performer, Bill Monroe, wasn't able to get the song that high on the country charts.
A couple of great misogynist-themed songs from Texas Jim Robertson provided some humor, but the closing classics from Andy Griffith, including Preacher and the Bear and What It Was Was Football sealed it.
We hope you enjoyed our much-too-short one-hour-preempted show, and hope you will join us next week when we make another go of it.
Jim & Marti
Artist / Song / Disk / Label / Notes
- The Golden Gate Quartet / Preacher and the Bear / Complete Recorded Works Volume 1 / Document / 1937
- The Maddox Bros & Rose / Wild Wild Young Men / Ugly And Slouchy / Bear Family / 1955
- The Maddox Bros & Rose / Ugly And Slouchy / Ugly And Slouchy / Bear Family / 1957
- The Maddox Bros & Rose / The Death Of Rock And Roll / Ugly And Slouchy / Bear Family / 1956
- Dixon Brothers / Intoxicated Rat / Weave Room Blues / Old Homestead / 1936
- Dixon Brothers / Sales Tax on the Woman / Weave Room Blues / Old Homestead / 1936
- Ernest V. Stoneman / Broken Hearted Lover / With Family & Friends / Old Homestead / 1928
- Ernest V. Stoneman / Cripple Creek / With Family And Friends Volume 1 / Old Homestead / 1926
- Merle Travis / 16 Tons / The Very Best - The Shasta Masters / Varèse Sarabande / 1950s
- Merle Travis / Guitar Rag / The Very Best - The Shasta Masters / Varèse Sarabande / 1950s
- Merle Travis / Hominy Grits / The Very Best - The Shasta Masters / Varèse Sarabande / 1950s
- Eddy Arnold / I'll Hold You In My Heart (Till I Can Hold You In My Arms) / Ultimate Eddy Arnold / RCA-BMG Heritage / 1947
- Eddy Arnold / Anytime / Ultimate Eddy Arnold / RCA-BMG Heritage / 1947
- Eddy Arnold / Kentucky Waltz / Ultimate Eddy Arnold / RCA-BMG Heritage / 1950
- Texas Jim Robertson / You Can't Do Nothin' With a Woman / Purple Night On the Prairie / B.A.C.M / 1950
- Texas Jim Robertson / Jaw Jaw Yap Yap Yap / Purple Night On the Prairie / B.A.C.M / 1950
- Andy Griffith / The Preacher and the Bear / The Wit & Wisdom of Andy Griffith / EMI Capitol / 1958
- Andy Griffith / What It Was, Was Football (Parts I & II) / The Wit & Wisdom of Andy Griffith / EMI Capitol / 1953