Jim had to leave town on a business trip and was not able to be in the studio in person for this show, but he left behind an hour-long version of his tribute to Ray Davis, the D.C. and Baltimore bluegrass DJ who had passed away December 3rd. Jim first aired a version of this show on his early Saturday morning midnight fill-in on WHUS, and updated it for this show. Marti concluded the show with an hour of her own programming.
The Washington Post printed a good obituary for Ray Davis December 14th, and you may be able to see it here.
The Ray Davis tribute consisted of some of Ray's "Basement Tapes" -- recordings he made at Johnny's Used Cars in Baltimore or later in his own home studio. When released, they were on Ray's own Wango (WON-go) label, named for his hometown in Maryland.
The Ray Davis part of the playlist is below. Marti's part of the playlist will be added shortly.
Jim & Marti
Artist / Song / Album / Label / Year
- Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet / Comin' In On A Wing And A Prayer / Complete Recorded Works Vol. 4 / Document / 1943
- The Gillis Brothers / Train 45 / Freight Train Special Volume Two / Wango / 1993
- Ray Davis / Old Folks Home / Plum Pitiful Volume Two / Wango / 1973
- The Stanley Brothers / In The Pines / Freight Train Special Volume Two / Wango / 1963
- Ralph Stanley / The Vacant Chair / Plum Pitiful Volume Two / Wango / 1996
- Ray Davis / Soldier's Last Letter / Plum Pitiful Volume Two / Wango / 1973
- Mac Wiseman / A Hero's Death / Plum Pitiful Volume Two / Wango / 1996
- Warrior River Boys / My Dixie Home / Freight Train Special Volume Two / Wango / 1996
- Lost & Found / Bringin' In the Georgia Mail / Freight Train Special Volume One / Wango / 1996
- Clyde Moody / White House Blues / Plum Pitiful Volume Two / Wango / 1962
- Ralph Stanley & James King / Life Of Sorrow / Plum Pitiful Volume Two / Wango / 1987
- Ray Davis / The Mother's Watch / Memories of Mother / Wango / 1975
- The Stanley Brothers / Jordan, Heavenly Light Is Shining On Me, Someone's Last Day, Rank Stranger / Radio Series Volume Six / Wango / 1963
- Stanley Brothers / Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone / Plum Pitiful Volume Two / Wango / 1964