|The DeZurik Sisters|
a.k.a. "Cackle Sisters"
No, the title for this playlist is not the menu for today, although during a certain period of time it could have been. We played songs from that period, including Uncle Dave Macon, The Coon Creek Girls, David McCarn, The Carolina Ramblers String Band, G.B. Grayson and Henry Whitter, Charlie Parker and Mac Woolbright, J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers, Jerry & Sky, and the amazing DeZurik Sisters -- also known as The Cackle Sisters.
Relative to cotton mills, of significant note was the inclusion of all three of the "Cotton Mill Colic" songs and a couple more created by Gastonia NC textile mill hand David McCarn. Gastonia is near where we were born and raised, and textile factories -- an industry that moved South from New England over a century ago -- were a significant employer in the Carolinas. The major mill in our hometowns (Cannon > Fieldcrest-Cannon > Pillowtex) ran for about a century before closing its doors in 2003.
Marti's Bunkhouse featured a yodeling set -- something we've been wanting to do for a while -- plus a great Roy Rogers and Sons of the Pioneers set plus some great songs from Tex Ritter, Gene Autry, Bob Wills, and Eddy Arnold. Our own Carolinas singing cowboy, Fred Kirby, sang a song for us, and we ran to the finish with some 1950s, 60s, and 70s classic country.
We hope you enjoyed something you heard on this show. If you have requests, just leave them in the comments, or send an e-mail to redroosterparty "at" gmail "dot"com.
Jim & Marti
Marti's Bunkhouse in burgundy.
Title / Artist / Album / Label
- Introduction (1994) / Aunt Hattie Dalton
- Preacher And The Bear (1937) / Golden Gate Quartet / Complete Recorded Works V.1 / Document
- Carve That Possum (1927) / Uncle Dave Macon / Go Long Mule / County
- How Many Biscuits Can You Eat (c.1941) / The Coon Creek Girls / Early Radio Favorites / Old Homestead
- Let Me Be Your Salty Dog (1938) / Morris Brothers / Salty Dog Blues / B.A.C.M
- Orange Blossom Special (1947) / Jerry & Sky / The Appalachian Tradition / Great American
- Radio Show (San Antonio 1941) / J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers / Early Country Radio / JSP
My Old Pal Of Yesterday
Indian River Hoedown
Indian River Hoedown
Letter Edged In Black
- Cotton Mill Colic (1930) / David McCarn / Gastonia Gallop / Old Hat
- Everyday Dirt (1930) / David McCarn / Gastonia Gallop / Old Hat
- Take Them For A Ride (1930) / David McCarn / Gastonia Gallop / Old Hat
- Poor Man, Rich Man (1930) / David McCarn / Gastonia Gallop / Old Hat
- Serves 'em Fine (1931) / Dave (McCarn) & Howard (Long) / Gastonia Gallop / Old Hat
- Will, The Weaver (1927) / Charlie Parker & Mac Woolbright / The Appalachian Tradition / Great American
- Cluck Old Hen (1928) / Grayson & Whitter / Cluck Old Hen / Old Hat
- Barnyard Frolic (1932) / Carolina Ramblers String Band / Cluck Old Hen / Old Hat
- The Checker Time Radio Hour excerpt (c.1941) / The DeZurik Sisters (The Cackle Sisters) / Radio transcription / na
- Cowboy Rhythm (1938) / Patsy Montana / Yodeling Memories / Country Stars
- That's How The Yodel Was Born (1953) / Elton Britt / Yodeling Memories / Country Stars
- Yodelin' Boogie (1949) / Rosalie Allen / Yodeling Memories / Country Stars
- Hobo Bill's Last Ride (1930) / Gene Autry / Yodeling Memories / Country Stars
- My Saddle Pals And I (1937) / Roy Rogers and Sons Of The Pioneers / Way Out There / Bear Family
- Heavenly Airplane (1940) / Roy Rogers and Sons Of The Pioneers / Way Out There / Bear Family
- Blue Juniata (1937) / Roy Rogers and Sons Of The Pioneers / Way Out There / Bear Family
- Billy The Kid (1937) / Roy Rogers and Sons Of The Pioneers / Way Out There / Bear Family
- Git Along, Little Dogies (1932) / Tex Ritter / Tumbling Tumbleweeds / Dynamic
- Cherokee Maiden (1941) / Bob Wills / Tumbling Tumbleweeds / Dynamic
- Cattle Call (1955 version) / Eddy Arnold / Tumbling Tumbleweeds / Dynamic
- South Of The Border (Down Mexico Way) (1939) / Gene Autry / Tumbling Tumbleweeds / Dynamic
- Jukebox Jackson From Jacksonville (1948) / Fred Kirby / The Original "Atomic Power" / Cattle
- Tears In The Eyes Of A Potato (1965) / Jimmy Murphy / Southern Roots / Ace
- No Charge (1974) / Melba Montgomery / Queens Of Country / Time Life
- Alabam (1960) / Cowboy Copas / Hard To Find Hits / Time Life
- Blue Blue Day (1957) / Don Gibson / Hard To Find Hits / Time Life
- Little Sadie (1960-2) / Clarence Ashley / Classic Old Time Music / Smithsonian Folkways